Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Compliments to the Chef

I work at one of my college's culinary services, McGlynn's Sports Café. Since it's located in the same building as our fitness center and gym, it makes sense that the decorations are sports-related: jerseys, sports flags, golf clubs, tennis rackets, and other sports memorabilia. We serve burgers, subs, soup, some grocery items, and things like that. It's the only other place on campus to eat besides the main cafeteria in Gorecki, and it is great for getting a quick bite to eat.

I've worked at McGlynn's since my first year at CSB. I have been in a few different positions, working on the deli line making subs, the grill area making burgers, chicken strips, fries and other fried foods, and working in the preparation area making sandwiches, salads, dressings, pasta salad, and other food to sell in packages for easy grabbing for students. I've worked at McGlynn's for quite a while, and I feel like I've really gotten to know how most things work, and I think I'm good at both the preparing of food and customer service sides of things. But it is nice when a stranger compliments you on your work skills! And here's where the lesson for today comes in...


Yesterday I was working on the deli line, making subs and wraps. Twice people I was making sandwiches for complimented me on my sandwich making skills! Not only were these customers happy enough with their sandwiches, but I was pleasant enough for them to want to tell me they were pleased. So everyone involved was happy! After finding out some customers were happy with the way I made their subs or wraps, I continued the rest of my shift cheerfully. I know my work ethic for the day benefitted, as I felt more like I could tackle any problems would care to come my way. In fact, work was especially busy yesterday, and even though I was on the deli line, I helped out with the huge dish pile and stayed 15 minutes after my shift ended to help the deli line with a rush of customers.

Its such a pleasant feeling to be complimented. It benefits all involved, and even those not immediately involved. I'm sure my boss noticed my cheerfulness, and other customers hearing the compliment are probably more likely to come back to McGlynn's since others were pleased. So, don't be afraid to compliment someone today! See how it brightens not only their day, but others' days as well!

With simple happiness,

No comments:

Post a Comment