Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Oh, Simple Happinesses!

Hello, I'm back! It's been a growing experience, this last year. I studied abroad, went through my first break-up, and am learning to live everyday like an adventure. There were definitely some real ups and downs (quite possibly the higher of highs AND my lowest of lows, actually), but its the painful experiences that make us realize just how lucky we are, right? I have realized just how important it is to continue to take joy in the little things, in simple happinesses. I also realized how much I love writing blog posts; this site is like a public journal where I can share my adventures with you all virtually! Its a great way for me to connect with friends, family, and even people I don't know, and hopefully my brightness and happiness will help you all look at the world in a positive way! So, in the spirit of this blog, let's talk about some simple happinesses that have occured so far this week for me...

Simple Happiness #1

Yesterday was Monday. On the SJU  campus, Alquin Library kindly provides free coffee and a treat (usually mini donuts or mini scones, yum!) for students that come into the library. I love it when my 9:40 class at SJU lands on a Monday, because I walk right by the library on my way to class. And who can resist free coffee and a cranberry scone on a Monday morning?!

Simple Happiness #2

I go to the College of St. Benedict (an all girls college), and we are connected with the University of St. John's (an all boys college). While we are technically seperate colleges, all classes are co-ed and we share most of our clubs. Basically, we are a double college. The major difference between us and other colleges is that we have seperate campuses, boys on one campus and girls on the other. Anyhow, now that I have explained that! We have a bus system to take us between campuses, called the Link. One of our bus drivers likes to ask a trivia question to each busload of kids that he takes between the colleges. This morning, after my 8 am at SJU, I was finally the one to answer the trivia question! The question was "What is the term for buffed leather?" and I answered "Suede." So, I was rewarded for my brightness with a dum dum sucker... Ironic, but incentive!

 Simple Happiness #3

Alright, so this isn't necessarily a happiness, but it is a good lesson in optimism and humor! Last night I was walking back to the bus after my printmaking class (this will definitely be a topic of a post or two, as it is a simple happiness in itself!), and I was texting one of my best friends, my roommate here at college, Breanna. Anyway, since I was clearly not paying enough attention, when I hit a patch of ice, down I went! While my initial reaction was anger at my hurt pride, hurt hand, and snow-covered belongings, I quickly realized the humor in the situation. I mean, it is a safety hazard just to text and walk at the same time in MN! (P.S. - we probably shouldn't text and walk at the same time, but this is coming from a girl who frequently walks with her nose in a book!)

So, what do you think guys? Life can have some pretty horrible moments, but it is worth to look on the bright side and enjoy the little things!

With simple happiness,

No comments:

Post a Comment